Tuesday, January 18, 2011

When In Rome...

...wear tie-dye!


Okay...so I'm not about to adorn the trippy threads but I've most certainly made some changes in my daily routine and lifestyle.  It hard to ignore the health conscious culture I'm currently living in.  Exercise and mindful eating are honored religiously out here.  I've welcomed both with open arms since stepping foot in my new community.

I've traded my high priced salon shampoo and conditioner for locally produced hemp hair products (all organic of course).  How could I go wrong when the BEST hand lotion I've ever used is also hemp product?! If my hands were happy...how could this new shampoo and conditioner fail? Don't worry, I don't have any future plans of purchasing hemp based clothing...I think I'll just narrow it to my hands and hair :)

On a larger scale, my normal diet has significantly changed.  I'm currently reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", by Barbara Kingsolver.  It's an excellent read exploring present day issues of where our food comes from, the environmental implications of food production and delivery, and how to be self sustainable (and that it is actually possible).  When I first moved here, I decided to watch "Food Inc.".  My first mistake was to watch this documentary while eating dinner (poor decision making skills example #1).  For the next month, I was unable to stomach the thought of ingesting any type of meat product.

My second mistake was to watch this documentary and adopt a temporary vegetarian lifestyle when I was supposed to host guests in my home.  Nobody REALLY wants to eat black beans, tofu, and peanut butter when on vacation...I wasn't born yesterday.  It was time to seriously reflect upon what disturbed me most about the information provided in the documentary.

I decided it was the fact that today's farming practices have become so far removed from that which our grandparent's/great grandparent's were familiar with.  It's not my intention to climb up on an imaginary soap box, so I won't.  If you are interested in knowing more, watch the documentary!  Just don't eat your dinner while doing so.

I'll have you know, I have been able to eat meat again!  It all started with a nice Tuna steak (fish is the gateway meat...no doubt).  I'm definitely more aware of what I'm buying now at the market and am (trying to be) more aware of where my food is coming from!  Fortunately, the place I shop has contracts with local farmers and I have access to grass fed beef and free range chicken.  Not only am I supporting local business, but I'm supporting a healthier standard for meat products!  Go me!

During my "save the animals" kick, I refrained from eating eggs as well which put a gigantic damper on my morning breakfast routine (thankfully, that phase kicked the bucket as well).  I dove into the world of oatmeal.    It's a blessing my roommate is well versed in all things oatmeal.  I now make a kick-ass concoction of: rye, whole wheat, and barley flakes mixed with almond slices, brown sugar, cranberries, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and all splice balls.  A seriously delicious way to start my mornings.

Sorry to bore you with all this food talk but it's been a huge part of my experience out here!  If I could bring all of you to my new market, I would.  It's beautifully overwhelming.  Endless selection of fresh produce, bulk grains and spices, and "buy local" support.  It's awesome.

In addition to local food, the weather is different!  5 day forecast = 61 and sunny. No variation.  I'm not complaining!   Another week of spending as much time outside as possible.  My flip flops burst out from their premature hibernation last weekend and my toes enjoyed their familiar freedom.  I've found (and fallen in love with) a new exercise class (it's about time) called The Dailey Method.  I wish it was offered all over the country but unfortunately, it's only a west coast treasure.  I stumbled upon this class after a yoga instructor told us all to find our "inner chi" about 10 times in a row.  Everyone in the room had no problem with it...I wanted to hit him in the head with my mat.  Yoga is not for me (I've finally admitted it!).  In addition to this new class, I've been building up longer runs and discovering hiking trails throughout the local hills- I'm definitely feeling healthier and stronger.  It's a great thing.

Work is still going well.  I'm finding my niche and holding on to my "east coast edge".  My new boyfriend calls me "sassy".  Oh, he's 92 and can bench press 115 pounds.  He's extremely concerned with my wellbeing out here given there's no family close by and my friend group is extremely small.  I've come to love our early morning conversations about his life in Poland (obviously) and the amazing life he's created for himself in the states.  Every day, he asks for my number so we can keep in touch and he can invite me over for dinner or perhaps "go for a jog around the marina".  I'll let you know who wins :)

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post! Kzak, it's so great to see you sooo happy and enjoying being out west. I'm living vicariously through you now...I think traveling therapy was the best decision i made and clearly yours too! Sometimes it's good to in the unknown with no family or close friends nearby b/c then they don't influence you and your decisions as much and you slowly start to come into your "new, happy, and healthy" person that you are becoming! I strongly encourage you to keep traveling and exploring all the cool lil' local places out there---I loved finding the hidden jewels in the southwest/west. I look forward to reading more posts! Oh and last piece of advice--don't find a man and settle down too quick w/ him to move back East...I do not regret it one bit but I sure do wish I had listened to myself and continued traveling a bit more b/c it's harder to do it now!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristi :) Miss you too! So glad you enjoyed the post and could relive a little travelin' fun through my story. I intend on soaking up EVERY opportunity thrown at me. Not sure how long I'll be on the road for...but it sure is hard to be away from "home". Open invite to come visit any time you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. far out man- i'm totally vibing the hemp merch and crunchy granola oatmeal ;)

    Finding your inner-chi 10x in a row?? without a rest period between??? that's impressive.

    Just don't get a hybrid car, and start smelling your own farts while you talk with your eyes closed, ok? I've heard SF is the smug capital of the world, so just keep your wits about you, yeah? If your ever feeling like some strange, sneaky force has been moving you without your permission, just take a bite into a burger and pop a hole in a hippie drum. You should be feeling better instantly.

    Glad to hear the good news, KZak!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, you're hilarious. My wits are safe...no intention on losing them :) I'll make you some oatmeal next time I see ya. It'll change your life, man! Hahahaha Safe travels with your move!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to share with anyone here looking for a loan for a business or personal loan to contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com because Mr Pedro and his loan company is all I trust when it's comes to financial situation solution so I'm recommending anyone looking for financial assistance to contact Mr Pedro with a loan 2% rate annual return, Now? You see why I will choose Pedro with his loan company 100% genuine finance..;

    ReplyDelete